Buffs (or perks) (sometimes known in-game as "powers") are passive abilities that are intended to boost the player.
Types of Buffs
By means of obtaining, there are two major types of buffs: Buff slot buffs and extra buffs.
By default, a character has six buff slots, with the sixth being locked. Between some levels in a run, the player has to choose a buff among 3 randomly generated buffs. The chosen buff will then occupy the empty buff slot, until the player runs out of buff slots. These buff selections happen after level 1-1, 1-3, 1-5, 2-3, and 2-5 and are different in Boss Rush Mode. An already chosen buff will not appear again in the same game, yet a non-chosen buff that has already appeared and been ignored can.
The player can also gain or lose empty buff slots.
- Gained slots will take place before the sixth buff slot, and will be instantly available to use after every level that is not a buff selection level itself (although the selection still takes place one by one). These can be gained by using Heptacolor Viola, drinking Tea, or under the "Max number of buffs +3" condition. Buffs gained via these methods are resettable.
- Lost slots will not disappear, but will simply become locked/unusable, displaying a minus sign indicating it. This can happen under the "Max number of buffs -3" condition. Using Heptacolor Viola under this condition will restore the locked slots first before creating new ones.
By upgrading a character six times, the locked sixth buff slot will be replaced by a unique starting buff that complements the character's play style. This buff is available from start and cannot be interfered with.
Other than the character buff, all other buff slots can be reset, starting from the most recently chosen. This can be done by using the Scammer, or by drinking Amnesia Potion. The reset buff will become an empty slot again, that will be available for choosing before the next level.
Apart from the aforementioned slots, additional buffs can also be gained. These buffs will appear after the character's starting buff slot, such that they can't be interfered with.
Extra buffs can be gained by:
- Picking up buff bubbles (a glass sphere with a random buff inside). They can be bought from Mysterious Trader at a cost of 1 maximum health, or taken for free in The Origin.
- Using certain plants in the Garden. These plants are:
- Dragon Fruit Tree - Fire Buff
- Mandrake - Poison Buff
- Caterpillar Fungus - Health Buff
- Cactus - Trap Buff
- Magic Flower - Energy restore upon kill Buff
- Crystal Mushroom - More gems buff
- Guardian Flower - Damage limiter shield buff
- Mirror Flower - Bounce Buff
- Radar Flower - Laser buff
- Watermelon - Charge buff
- Binary Tree - Shotgun buff
- Fantastic Flower - Random buff not owned in any slot and multiple plants stack
- Heptacolor Viola - Empty buff slot and multiple plants stack
Buffs on NPCs
- Increase the effectiveness of pets and followers.
- Increase the beam width of laser weapons.
- Increase accuracy and critical hit chance.
- Melee weapons can bounce bullets.
- Increase the number of bullets of shotguns.
- Bullets can bounce.
- Increase the attack range of melee weapon.
- Increase the number of combo hits for combo-hit weapons.
List of Buffs
|Icon||Message||Description / Notes||Category||ID|
|Critical hit bullets can pierce enemies.||
|Increase the beam width of laser weapons.||
|Increase the number of bullets of shotguns.||
|Melee weapons can bounce bullets.||
|Shorter charge time for weapons that require charging.||Weapon||5|
|No extra damage when shield is broken.||
|Immune to traps, and immune to collision damage.||
|Immune to poison gas and slow effect, increase poison damage to monsters.||
|Immune to fire, decrease explosion damage, and increase fire damage to monsters.||
|Store price lower.||
|Chance to gain life after killing an enemy.||
|Improve potion effectiveness.||
|Get energy whenever you kill a monster.||Recovery||13|
|Decrease monster bullet speed, larger pickup radius.||
|Get more gems at the end of each game.||
|Increase maximum life.||
|Increase effectiveness of pets and followers.||
|Release a radial blast when the shield is damaged.||
|Increase the chance of potion drop when breaking crates.||
|Increase accuracy and critical hit chance.||
|Reduce skill cool down.||
|Statue effects trigger twice.||Enhancement||22|
|Immune to freeze, and extra freeze time for the enemies.||
|Bullets can bounce.||
|Take an extra weapon into the fight.||
|Elemental bullets deal double damage on critical hit.||
|Increase damage of staves.||Weapon||27|
|Increase the attack range of melee weapon.||Weapon||29|
|Max energy +100.||
|Increase the number of combo hits for combo-hit weapons.||
|Increase firing speed of weapon.||Weapon||32|
- In a past version, the "Get Energy whenever you kill a monster" buff was instead "Improve energy orb effectiveness" (increases energy recovery from orb from 8 to 12). It then got updated to "Chance to gain Energy after killing enemy."
- The "Get more gems at the end of each game" used to give 10 gems per floor.
- Before 2.2.0, it would give 15 per floor instead.
- The "Increased accuracy and critical hit chance" buff used to be just "Decrease bullet spread."
- Prior to Update 1.4.1, the "50% off in shop" buff used to be 40%.
- Before Update 1.4.1, the "Release a radial blast when shield is down" buff did not destroy bullets.
- Then before 2.1.0, it would only trigger when the player took more damage than remaining armor.
- During version 1.6.5 to 1.7.x, it was the Reflect buff which increased damage of Laser Swords.
- In version 1.8.2, the texture of some buff icons got updated.
- During version 1.8.2 to 1.8.3, the Increase 4 health buff could not heal the player by 4.
- This had lasted longer for Multiplayer.
- It was partly corrected before 1.9.0, such that if the player restarts the floor right after getting this buff, the healing will not happen.
- And during version 1.9.0, if the player got this buff through Caterpillar Fungus, the game would start without that 4 healing.
- The side effect of Trap buff has gone through two changes:
- Before 1.6.5, it would let the attacker take damage as soon as they hit the player.
- This included damage on Paladin or Werewolf who can reduce damage with skills.
- During 1.6.5 to 1.7.10, it would fire 4-damage knives at 3 directions when the player took hit.
- It was affected by Shotgun buff such that 5 knives were fired instead.
- After 1.8.2, it makes the player immune to contact damage, despite the description in English says "Immune to traps. Reflects some damage taken."
- Switch to Chinese and the description becomes correct.
- In Chinese, it says "免疫陷阱，免疫碰撞伤害" which can be translated into "Immune to traps, immune to collision damage." Though unmentioned, it prevents contact damage as well.
- This confusion was cleared after version 1.9.7, as the buff was renamed to "Immune to traps, and immune to collision damage."
- Before 1.6.5, it would let the attacker take damage as soon as they hit the player.
- Before version 1.9.7, the "Armor +1" buff used to be "Armor +1, immune to collision damage."
- Despite its old name, this buff did not grant the player the immunity to collision damage.
- The Potion dropping buff description's was once misspelled as "Increase the charge of potion drop when breaking crates."
- If set to Chinese, the description does not say "increase chance" at all. Rather, it says "Breaking crates may cause potions to drop."
- During version 1.8.x, the Element buff could not affect laser guns (Ice Breaker alike).
- This still happens under "Weapon crit rate +100%, crit damage -50%" condition.
- Before version 1.9.0, players could only have up to 6 buffs (5 from runs and 1 from character bonus) each game.
- At that time, when playing with a character without bonus buff, the 6th slot would also display a plus sign.
- Before version 1.9.7, players with Poison or Fire buff could be briefly affected by enemy attacks that would cause debuffs, though they would be removed before ticking.
- There was a glitch where if the player was hit by a poisonous shot, the slow effect would last for the full duration, while the poison damage was removed correctly.
- Also, if the NPC Alchemist would cause poison, the effect would force a tick of damage even if player had the buff. Since version 1.9.7, nothing will happen if result is poison.
- In version 2.2.5, there was a bug that when the "Increase melee range" buff was presented, the dash of Iaido became so massive that it can cover a whole room.
- In 2.5.5, the "50% off in shop" buff was renamed to "Store Price Lower" and could only have 25% off in The Origin.
- However, this name was reverted in 2.6.5.